Wall sconces offer a unique and elegant way to brighten any room, but what if you could have the convenience of an electrical outlet right at your fingertips? That’s where the plug-in wall sconce comes in, combining the style and functionality of these fixtures with the practicality of a plug-in cord. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at wall sconces with plug-in cords and explore their benefits and uses.
What are Wall Sconces with Plug-in Cords?
A wall sconce with a plug-in cord is simply a wall-mounted light fixture that is connected to a power source via a cord that plugs into an electrical outlet. Unlike traditional hardwired sconces, plug-in sconces can be easily installed and moved from room to room without the need for complicated wiring or professional installation.
Benefits of Wall Sconces with Plug-in Cords
Some of the benefits of choosing a plug-in wall sconce include:
- Easy installation: No need for complex wiring or professional installation.
- Portability: Move the fixture from room to room or take it with you when you move.
- Cost savings: Avoid the expense of hiring an electrician to install a hardwired sconce.
- Flexibility: Choose from a wide range of plug-in sconces to fit your decor and lighting needs.
Uses for Wall Sconces with Plug-in Cords
Wall sconces with plug-in cords can be used in a variety of ways throughout your home. Some popular uses include:
- Task lighting: Place a plug-in sconce above a desk or reading nook for focused lighting.
- Ambient lighting: Use a plug-in sconce to create a warm and inviting atmosphere in any room.
- Accent lighting: Highlight artwork or architectural features with a plug-in sconce.
- Nighttime lighting: Add a plug-in sconce to a guest room or nursery to provide low-level lighting without the need for a lamp.
Choosing the Right Wall Sconce with Plug-in Cord
When selecting a plug-in wall sconce, there are a few key factors to keep in mind, including:
- Size: Consider the size of your space and the size of the fixture to ensure a balanced look.
- Style: Choose a plug-in sconce that fits with your decor style, whether it’s modern, traditional, or somewhere in between.
- Lighting needs: Determine the type of lighting you need from your sconce, whether it’s task lighting or ambient lighting.
- Cord length: Ensure that the cord length is sufficient for your needs and allows for placement near an electrical outlet.
Installation and Care Tips
Installing a wall sconce with a plug-in cord is a straightforward process that requires only a few basic tools. Follow these steps for a safe and secure installation:
- Locate a stud in the wall where you want to mount the fixture.
- Hold the sconce up to the wall and mark where the screws will go.
- Drill pilot holes into the wall where you made your marks.
- Screw the mounting plate onto the wall, aligning it with the pilot holes.
- Attach the fixture to the mounting plate using the screws provided.
- Plug the cord into an electrical outlet.
To keep your plug-in sconce in top condition, regularly dust the fixture with a soft cloth and be sure to unplug it before cleaning. Avoid using harsh chemicals or water on the fixture, as these can damage the finish or electrical components.